When you are going to get your tooth extracted, it is natural that you will feel daunted about the whole experience. Believe it or not, this is the same thing that many patients feel in Cornelius, Charlotte, and Huntersville as they have reported to their doctors. Contrary to what you think, the tooth extraction procedure is a pretty simple one. However, the aftercare of the tooth extraction procedure is very important.
This is why when you come to Rolle Oral and Facial Surgery or you visit any other clinic in Mooresville, Statesville, or Davidson, the oral surgeons Charlotte NC generally instruct you to follow a strict prescription of medication and rest. Once the tooth extraction procedure is done, you will be still under the effect of anesthesia. And that will make you numb to pain. But the more the effects will wear off, the more effects you will start feeling. And that is why you need to follow the aftercare process religiously.
Specific Instructions after Tooth Extraction:
Once you are done with the tooth extraction procedure, the oral surgeon in Kenansville and Concord in North Carolina will give you the following instructions.
- You must take all the medication as prescribed. You will be prescribed with painkillers and antibiotics. Even if there is no sign of infection, you must take the antibiotics regularly to avoid any further problems.
- Leave the gauze pad for at least thirty minutes so that it can help to stop the bleeding.
- To deal with the pain and the swollen cheek, you can apply an ice bag on the side of the mouth. But you can do that for only 10 minutes at a time. More than that can damage your tissues. And you can continue with this for 36 hours after the surgery.
- Take rest for the next 24 hours and make sure that you don’t remain too active for at least a couple of days.
- Avoid rinsing, spitting or using straw for the next 24 hours as these can dislodge the clot from the wounded area.
- Use half teaspoon salt and 8 ounces of warm water for making a solution. Rinse your mouth with that.
- Do not smoke as it can create the problem of dry socket.
- Don’t lie flat while you are sleeping. Use a pillow to prop up your head. Otherwise this can cause the healing process to take longer.
- Keep brushing and flossing so that no infection happens. But make sure you are avoiding the surgical wound.
What Food You Can Have After the Extraction?
After the tooth extraction, for 24 hours, you can depend on liquid or semi liquid food. You need to take a lot of fluid during this time. You have lost some amount of blood during the procedure. Hence, it is important that you have a lot of fluid. From the next day, you can go back to normal diet. However, this will depend on your pain and comfort level. It is best if for a few days, you can get soft food.
For soft food, you can have,
While having smoothies or any kind of liquid, avoid straw as the sucking motion can dislodge the blood clot from its place and it can cause further bleeding again from the surgical wound of the tooth extraction Charlotte NC.
So, now as you know how to take care of yourself after the tooth extraction procedure, don’t waste time living in pain. Find out a reputed clinic for Charlotte oral surgery and get the procedure done.