Quinoa has been one of the staple diets for thousands of years now. Incas calls it the mother of grains. Today, quinoa is known as the superfood and has gained a reputation as one of the best substitutes for pasta and white rice. It is a rare plant source to provide protein to vegans and vegetarians. That’s why, 24 Mantra organic quinoa has become a popular choice for many.
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is just like whole grains but a seed derived from weed-type plant known as goosefoot related to spinach and beets. You can prepare 24 Mantra organic super grain quinoa just like barley or brown rice. Whichever form you purchase, quinoa is an expensive whole grain.
Flavor of Quinoa
This seed has a fluffy texture and nutty flavor which is a little chewy and creamy at the same time. To feel the creaminess and nuttiness of quinoa, cook it with a little olive oil, add a splash of lemon juice, little bit garlic, and sea salt and enjoy a delicious dish every day. Quinoa is just like rice; it would absorb the flavor of sauces that you serve with it.
Benefits of Quinoa
Quinoa is rich in nutrients and contains a lot of health benefits. Let’s read on to find out –
- Completely filled with protein: Quinoa is tiny seed but filled with protein. One cup of cooked quinoa includes 8gm. It is one of the rare plant sources of protein. It contains all the nine amino acids that are required by your body. Quinoa is higher in calories as compared to other protein sources. It is also a great source of lysine which is a crucial amino acid (as already discussed). Lysine plays an important role in your development of growth.
- Free from gluten: Quinoa is natural and gluten free. Some of the unknown branded quinoa can get cross-contaminated with other grains like wheat at the time of processing. If you are sensitive to gluten or suffering from Celiac disease, always make sure that you use branded products like 24 Mantra organic quinoa.
- High in fiber content: A cup of quinoa contains at least 5gm of dietary fiber. It is more in comparison to that in brown rice or white rice. Fiber helps in prevention of constipation, lower cholesterol level, control the level of blood sugar in your body. When you are looking to maintain your weight by feeling full for a long time, quinoa is a great choice as you are likely to restrain from overeating.
- Rich in minerals: Quinoa is filled with minerals like zinc, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and manganese. It is also rich in selenium, calcium, and potassium. This makes quinoa a great choice to keep yourself overall healthy.
- Rich source of antioxidants: As compared to other common grains, quinoa is a rich source of antioxidants. It includes vitamin E which reduces the chances of several eye disorders, coronary heart disease, and certain cancers.
Variety of Quinoa
Although quinoa grows in a lot of different colors but the most common ones used in cooking are white, black, and red seeds. They have their own unique nuance in the culinary world. White quinoa cooks fastest, has the mildest flavor, and the least crunchy texture. Black quinoa is the crunchiest and most flavorsome one and requires the longest time to cook. Red seeds of quinoa are a bit stronger than white in crunchiness and flavors. They also take a little bit longer to cook in comparison to white quinoa.
Usual Way to Prepare Quinoa
Quinoa must be rinsed before cooking as it is coated with natural substance called saponins. Saponins have a laxative effect and bitter taste. Cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups of water. It can be cooked easily under 20 minutes. If you add broth or stock to quinoa, it would become really flavorsome. You can also use it to make your breakfast porridge or cold salad.
Storage of Quinoa
Just like any other grain, quinoa also has to be stored in the airtight container and kept in a cool and dark place. This prevents insects from getting into the container and moisture from getting accumulated. Once you have cooked quinoa, it can be stored for up to 7 days in the refrigerator to retain freshness. If you are buying quinoa flour, store it in the freezer to extend the shelf life and slow down the oxidation process. Quinoa flakes on the other hand can last in your refrigerator for up to 1 year.
Where to Purchase Quinoa?
Goodie Grocer always sells the best quality and healthiest groceries. If you are looking for organic food items to add in your kitchen, give it a try. You can find 24 Mantra organic super grain quinoa here at a really good price.